Stabilizing Families and Individuals
United Way and its partners strive to stabilize people in crisis through emergency food and housing services. We provide support to families and individuals experiencing domestic violence and sexual assault. We help people become self-sufficient.
Targeted Issue: Reduce hunger and increase access to food
- On average 45% of children are eligible for the free and reduced lunch program in our NE MN territory and experience hunger away from school.
- Food shelf use among seniors has nearly quadrupled the last five years.
- In Minnesota, one in nine people struggles with hunger.
- Provide weekend meals to children during the school year through the UW Buddy Backpack program.
- Invest in programs that provide access to food for individuals and families that are at risk of being food insecure.
- Invest in programs that build knowledge and skills related to cost-effective food choices, food preparation and nutrition.
- Decrease the number of children who are food insecure.
- Decrease the number of individuals and families experiencing hunger.
Targeted Issue: Promoting a stable living enviroment for individuals and families
- Individuals/families do not have enough money and resources to meet basic needs on a regular basis. Out of 89 Minnesota counties, the poverty level in St. Louis County ranks as the 9th highest.
- Families are unable to find affordable and accessible housing.
- Invest in programs that provide transitional housing and shelter for families and homeless youth.
- Invest in programs that can provide essential household and clothing items to families and individuals in crisis.
- Collaborate with community programs and partners to provide resources for those not able to meet their basic needs.
- Support programs that provide emergency services in crisis.
- Decrease the number of children, and families experiencing homelessness.
- Increase the number of families and individuals who have access to essential household and clothing items through UW Good360.
- Increase the numbers of families who are able to find permanent housing.
- Increase awareness and access to emergency services in our area.
Targeted Issue: Reduce domestic violence and sexual assault
- One in three women and one in four men experience violence from their partners in their lifetime.
- One in three girls and one in six boys will be sexually violated by the age of 18.
- Lack of awareness and prevention education inhibits crimes from being reported.
- Invest in programs that provide education, supportive services, crisis intervention and emergency shelter related to domestic and sexual violence in our region.
- Increase the service delivery of and access to prevention education.
- Support increased services and shelter to victims.
- Reduce the number of victims experiencing domestic violence and sexual assault.
How You Can Help
Volunteers make United Way's food programs like Buddy Backpacks and our partner agencies programs successful. Volunteer to help.