What is Comforts of Home?
Through a partnership with select Bed, Bath and Beyond and Walmart stores, United Way of Northeastern Minnesota is able to obtain bedding, towels, rugs, and other household items. These products are then distributed to people in need in our service territory based on a referral system.
This program is currently closed to in-person visits, but staff is able to pack items for pickup. To make a referral for a client, please do so on the second tab on this page.
If you have a client in need of the program, UWNEMN staff are ready and able to pack boxes of needed items for case workers to pick up at our building and deliver to clients. If you and your client are interested in participating in the program this way, click HERE.
All clients must be referred by an agency or social worker.
We ask that caseworkers review the program policy with clients & secure client signature on the form prior to item pickup. Other relevant and updated paperwork will be sent to caseworkers upon referral.
Comforts of Home Program Policy
- The Comforts of Home program may only be used once.
- All clientele must be referred and accompanied by a case worker.
- Appropriate paperwork is required to be filled out by clientele completely.
- Case managers and clientele will work together to take items that are appropriate for their current needs. Clientele are encouraged to make a list in advance to help prioritize their needed items.
- Comforts of Home has many curtains available. It’s advised that clientele measure their windows in advance to assist in selecting curtains.
- There may be limits on some items depending on availability (i.e. one pillow per person, etc.).
- Items are first come first served and can’t be set aside or held for clientele. We receive our items on a donation basis so we never know what will be coming in or is available.
- Anything that is taken may not be returned to the program or store.
- All donations that are received are assessed to ensure they are acceptable to give out to individuals in need.
- UWNEMN apologizes in advance If there is an item on the shelf that is unacceptable.
- Should you take an electronic item does that not work when you get home, please dispose of properly as it cannot be returned to the Comforts of Home Program.
- ANY ITEMS RECEIVED FROM THE COMFORTS OF HOME PROGRAM ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE SOLD OR EXCHANGED.
- UWNEMN partner agencies are allowed to take items for appropriate programs.
This policy must be signed and returned in order for materials to be picked up; please click here to download this policy for your client to sign. During the COVID-19 pandemic, this paperwork can be returned as PDF email attachment, via mail, or when case worker picks up materials.