The Smiles United program is returning to UWNEMN's Chisholm building for summer service July 1st. Due to COVID-19, new precautions have been put in place for the program. Please read below for more details.
What is Smiles United?
Smiles United is a school-based preventive and restorative dental program that provides care for uninsured and underinsured children. The program improves the oral health and well-being for patients from birth to 100+ years of age by providing cleanings, fluoride treatments and sealants right within the school by way of a mobile dental unit. "Smiles" was launched in 2009 and is currently providing care in all area school districts across the Iron Range and Koochiching County. In 2019, the program extended through the summer months, with dental services being provided out of the UWNEMN building!
What is the need?
- Tooth decay is the most common infectious disease among children. It is also largely preventable!
- Nationally, more than 51 million school hours are lost each year due to tooth decay. By providing the necessary dental care in school, children can easily access necessary preventative care in order to stay healthy!
- Children receiving dental sealants in school-based programs have 60% less decay for up to five years. Healthy children feel better in school, which helps our efforts to educate.
1. Schools send out consent forms for parents to sign and return.
2. All children who return a consent form are eligible to receive care. Insurance will be billed for those who have it. Assistance in applying for insurance is available. For those who are income-eligible or without insurance, services will be provided on a sliding fee scale or free care program. Services include initial screening, fluoride treatments, and oral health education. Sealants and dental cleanings will be completed if clinically indicated.
3. Children keep a healthy smile and are positively impacted about how they feel, learn, and behave.
Dental services are offered to all students at participating schools and administered by a local hygienist and assistant. Children's Dental Services has more than 50 years of experience providing site-based care in schools.
Children's Dental Services will return to the UWNEMN building in Chisholm to provide Smiles United dental care during the summer starting July 1st.
To make a summer appointment, call 1-866-543-6009.
Due to COVID-19, Children's Dental Service & UWNEMN have implemented the following precautions:
Children’s Dental Services staff will wear N95 masks and face shields.
We ask that only one parent/guardian accompany patients into the building.
We will properly sanitize the office between patients; there will be fewer appointments in a day to allow for cleaning time between patients.
Patients will be screened with health questions, and temperatures will be taken prior to entering the building.
Patients and guardians will be asked to wait in their vehicle between appointments instead of waiting inside the UWNEMN building.
For more information on Children's Dental Services, click here.
To operate Smiles United, we rely on community support. To make a contribution to Smiles United, designate through payroll deduction at your workplace, donate online today, or send donations to UWNEMN at 608 East Drive, Chisholm, MN 55719.