Empowering Healthy Lives
United Way and its partners believe that strengthening the health and well-being of our most vulnerable men, women, and children leads to a stronger overall community. We will invest in programs that support safe, healthy and independent lives for these individuals in our region.
Targeted Issue: Support short-term healthcare and oral health services
- Individuals are still falling through the cracks in being able to access healthcare.
- Uninsured and underinsured children in NEMN have difficulty accessing critically needed oral healthcare services.
- Invest in programming that provides health care services to individuals without insurance or who are underinsured.
- Invest in programming that helps individuals in obtaining insurance.
- Providing oral healthcare for children in a school based setting to increase access.
- Reduce the number of individuals who fall through the cracks by investing in programs that improve Affordable Care Act education and awareness through navigation programs.
- Reduce the number of children who go without oral healthcare services each year through Smiles Across Minnesota.
Targeted Issue: Support individuals and families dealing with a life limiting or terminal illness
- Caregivers reach out for help only when at a crisis point which leads to undue stress in their own lives.
- Approximately 70 people are newly diagnosed with cancer each day in Minnesota. Cancer and life-limiting illnesses can cause huge financial strains on families.
- Invest in programs that provide education, support and financial assistance for individuals and their families dealing with a life-limiting or terminal illness.
- Invest in programs that provide caregiver support services and education/trainings.
- Increase access to financial support for families who are dealing with life-limiting illness.
- Increase the well-being of care givers.
Targeted Issue: Increase programming to support advocacy, safe independent living and the well-being of our senior
- 51% of our seniors have received help from a home health aide, friend or family member (2012 AEOA Needs Assessment). They have difficulty caring for themselves, grocery shopping, doing home maintenance, and attending vital appointments.
- Invest in programming that provides support for and improves the well-being of seniors through advocacy, healthy activities, and safe independent living programs.
- Increase support services to allow more seniors to live in their homes.
- Increase the well-being of care givers to seniors.
Targeted Issue: Therapeutic activities and advocacy for youth/children with developmental disabilites and their families
- One in five Minnesota families with children have a child or youth with special health care needs or developmental disabilities.
- Having a child with developmental disabilities impacts the well -being of the entire family.
- Invest in advocacy and education programs focused on children with developmental disabilities.
- Invest in therapeutic activities for children with developmental disabilities.
- Children with developmental disabilities will improve their strength, mobility, confidence, and social skills through therapeutic programming.
- Invest in education and advocacy for families caring for children with developmental disabilities.
Targeted Issue: Close the gap in veterans services in our rual communites
- Iron Range veterans continue to struggle with access to quality care.
- Veterans expressed issues with civilian life including relationships with spouses and children, feeling like they belong and confiding or sharing their personal thoughts and feelings.
- Invest in enhanced coordinated care.
- Support financial stability of veterans and their families.
- Build strong families and communities through collaborative efforts.
- Improve military friendly service delivery and intensify marketing of veterans services available locally.
- Increase the number of service providers who are veterans.
- Increase access to financial support for military families in crisis.
- Provide social opportunities to connect veterans and support their civilian lives with their families.